Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Cleveland Marathon



When I watched the Cleveland Marathon last year, I took a vow to register for the 2008 race. Registration is now open for the 2008 Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon, Half Marathon, and 10k. This morning, I submitted my registration, along with those of my husband and son. We have until May 18, 2008 to train for this event and I'm really looking forward to it.

In 1997, I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis, and was terrified of a wheelchair in my future. In 2001, I visited Walk Disney World, and while I still had the ability to walk for short distances, I was unable to keep up with the pace at the park, and spent most of my time in a wheelchair. Fortunately, my illness has improved over the years, with the help of both traditional and non-traditional therapies. Today I am walking, working out, and training for my first 10k race. However, my health challenges make this race so much more important to me.

I would love to hear from other people who have participated in this event, or plan to participate this year. I think that training for this event will be a wonderful way to improve anyone's overall strength and fitness and serves as a wonderful alternative to the traditional New Years Resolution.

Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon Health & Fitness Expo
This free health and fitness expo is held at the Cleveland Convention Center on the Friday and Saturday before Race Day. All participants must attend the expo to pick up their race packets. There will also be plenty of exhibitors to check out.
* Friday - May 16, 2008, 11:00 AM - 7:00 PM
* Saturday - May 17, 2008, 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Pasta Dinner
There will be a charity pasta dinner Saturday evening before Race Day
* Saturday - May 17, 2008, 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM

2008 Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon, Half-Marathon, and 10k Race
* Sunday - May 18, 2008 , 7:00 AM Marathon/Half, 7:35 AM 10k

26.3 Mile Rock Party
The party starts at at E. 9th and St. Clair for the big after race party! There will be live music, games, food, drinks, and prizes. What a fun way to unwind after the race!

Visit the Cleveland Marathon Website, for more information about the weekend's events.

No comments: